Friday, March 29, 2013

Prague

So yesterday I started my journey for my first trip to Prague! I got up early, did some last minute packing, had breakfast with my host family and then left for my bus. It seems however that I truly am my mother's daughter and my grandfather's granddaughter, because I showed up an hour and 45 minutes early... I knew what time my bus was set to pick up passenners, but even though I went and found the stop the night before, I was paranoid that I was in the wrong place and would miss my bus. For those of you who don't know my mother or grandfather they are perpetually worried about the same thing. In fact one of the favorite stories of this paranoia is when we showed up to my sister's first communion 2 hours early and crashed a wedding ceremony...

So I showed up massively early, but I did get some things accomplished -read bought myself snacks for the trip. At 10:20 the first of the other passenners started to assemble and at 10:40 our bus arrived on schedule. In your minds eye I'm sure you see a typical coach bus with tacky 90's fabric with a faint hint of old wafting to your nostrils mixed with the inevitable smells that one might associate with eastern European countries. This image is completely off from what I experienced. The bus was a bright yellow coach that looks modern in its design. On the inside were very nice and large leather seats with touch screen tv's in the back of each so that every passenger could watch a  large variety of movies or shows in English or Czech. In the wall by my seat was a plug where I could charge my devices and there was Wi-Fi in the bus! Finally to top it all off they served free hot drinks (coffee, tea, or hot chocolate).  So basically this was the best bus ride of my life, and it only cost 35€ round trip. I highly recommend the Student Agency travel line for any of your traveling needs into or out of Prague.

I arrived in Prague at about 3:40 ish and thanks to my friend Tobi who did me a huge favor and printed out my tickets and hostel booking confirmations (which consequently were apparently about 5 page emails each) I had amazing step by literal step directions from where the bus dropped me off to the front door of the hostel. After waiting in quite a long line at check-in (it's Easter break/weekend) I finally was able to check in to my room. I'm staying at the Plus Prague Provinzi. It isn't in the city center, but I have had several friends stay at the Plus Berlin and figured this would be a good bet for a decent hostel. I'm staying in a 4 person mixed dorm, although for my first night it was all girls. Hoping for the same luck the next few nights (since they have all left), but either way it's a good room. It's very clean with nice large lockable wardrobes with 2 single beds and one bunk. It also has great Wi-Fi service in the room, so good that I can Skype from my cell in my room. The only complaint about the room is that the shower floods very quickly. Making showering a race against the clock kind of situation.

After getting myself settled and calling my parents to tell them I'm alive I met my roommates for the night. They are studying in Madrid for a semester and for their Easter break they are/have been visiting a new city almost everyday! 12 cities in 12 days! Since I am on my own and they were very cool, I went out with them them and we saw the old town square and Easter markets. We met up with some of their friends who are studying in Prague in front of the astronomical clock. Christine (one of my roommates)was beside herself with excitement in seeing it in person. She has been obsessed with this cock since she saw it in a national geographic kids magazine when she was 10. So. We met their friends at the clock and went with them to the Cafe' Louvre.

The Cafe' Louvre is a well known traditional Czech cafe' and it has amazing food. I had a dish that they simply called on the English menu Roast Beef in Cream. It was one of the most amazing dishes of food I've ever eaten. I paired it with an out of this world beer called Bernard

. It was a dark beer that looked like a thick syrup. It was thick and kind of heavy, but absolutely delicious! After the meal I honestly couldn't eat anymore, but everyone else got amazing desserts. Two of the girls split the most amazing Apple Strudel I've ever seen. Yummmmm! After dinner we went to Wenceslas Square and walked out to the metro. Such a fun night with my new hostel friends.

No comments:

the German experience through my eyes